Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Mi casa es tuya"

We are finally home! Our familia is a widowed mother who has 3 older sons--one is married and has a little baby girl who we met today. So great to enter into a big, close family right away. I showed my mom, Pudi, pictures of my big family (con 2 bebes) and it was fun to talk about families for a bit. I also brought a picture of my time in Kenya, and we talked about una vida simple in Africa and how they are still happy. It is so great to be jumping into immersion! I love Spanish and the gift of communicating in a different language. The son that still lives here, Jose, is a policeman with a sense of humor. He says that he doesn't think we can keep our promise of "solo español" I'm the house but we insist that it is possible. But I already said one word in English because I didn't remember the Spanish word and he started una lista of the day and time that we use an English word..challenge accepted!
School starts tomorrow with a meeting at 8am. I have been reading and annotating my world religions books and am already learning so much..so thankful that I'm able to take this class, especially 1 on 1 with a Spanish missionary! Voy a aprender mucho.
The past few days have been packed with tourism. Tour guides, museo del prado, parque retiro, y comida, comida, comida. One thing I'm looking forward to is having home cooked meals..cheaper and healthier.
One last cultural event in Madrid was the club, el kapital. Six floors of dance floors and bars with loud music and crowds of natives! It was my first time going out but it was really fun. Not something I would choose to do too often but it was our first time interacting with natives which was fun. Felt like a scene out of a movie. Night life here starts at 1 and peaks at 2:30..I usually go bed at 11. But this is Spain so..
Here are the past 2 tourism days. Top is Madrid, bottom is Toledo-an old renaissance style city that we visited yesterday afternoon on our way to Sevilla. Beautiful town that had unreal views.

1 comment:

  1. Ah!! Quiero ver más fotos! Looks like you're having a blast and so you know, quite frankly I am keeping up with each blog post like it's nothing. Keep up the posting, please and thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete