Sunday, May 19, 2013

Post Departure Countdown: 3 days

In 3 days I will be on a plane headed to Madrid, Spain. I will be spending 8 weeks abroad in Europe this summer, mostly spent in Spain. The first 6 weeks I am studying abroad, then the last 2 weeks or so, my family is coming up and we are traveling to Barcelona, Paris, and London. I am focusing on the first part of the trip with this blog, though--Spain.

I am doing a study abroad/missions program with Veritas Christian Study Abroad. (www.veritasabroad.com) Not sure exactly what my day to day schedule looks like, but I know it is primarily relational-evangelism type mission work. I will not be building houses or having any big mission projects like that; however, I plan on helping out with the children's ministry at my church in Sevilla which I could not be more excited about. I am also studying Spanish and World Religions.

All of this, except for my World Religion class will be in Spanish. I am excited for the adventure that awaits, nervous that I am not ready spiritually or physically, curious about what life will be like speaking a different language every single day for 6 weeks, and incredibly blessed that I have been given resources and opportunities to be able to be gone for so long this summer.

Last night I felt drawn to 2 Peter as I started to think about what my goals and expectations were for Spain. I found this passage that spoke towards the various elements and values that I hope to develop and refine in Spain:

2 Peter 1:5-7

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.


That is basically the purpose statement for this journey..praying that it becomes more of a reality each day of my travels..prayers appreciated for that as well.


Gotta get to packing!-

No comments:

Post a Comment