Friday, June 7, 2013

"hermano"

I miss Arrested Development. We couldn't even get netflix here if we tried to watch the next season (we did try.).

Anyway, this is a spotlight post on my hermano mayor (older brother) here in Spain! Last week we didn't see him much after he picked us up the first day but this week I had some fun conversations with him over mealtimes.

His name is Jose. He is probably mid-late thirties and is a policeman here in Sevilla. These days, he greets me and Amanda with a fist-bump and a skater boy"whassap" and I think it is the greatest greeting ever. But he does not speak much english after that.

We discussed movies yesterday--his favorite is Batman, although he is a huge Brad Pitt fan as well. I obviously shared his sentiments about Batman but didn't know many of the Pitt movies he was referencing. Apparently one of them makes him cry and he can't even watch the whole thing.

The day before, we talked about my desire to have native Spanish friends. He essentially crushed my dreams. (it is still going to happen! Next week..) He said that I shouldn't even try to be friends with boys because they are all ...(bad word). "I speak because I know. I am a Spaniard boy" (Jose's few words in English to make sure he got the point across.) I said I wasn't interested in guys here anyway and he was glad, haha. Then he said girls won't talk to American girls because they do not know english..but I want to speak spanish but I guess they are still intimidated. Regardless, I plan on teaching english this upcoming week to both kids and University students--that is my plan to become BFFs with at least one native Spaniard..

So Jose is awesome and he adds to the fun element of this household. He asked Amanda to teach him how to be flexible and do the splits since she is a ballet dancer. He has got some ambition.

Speaking of home, here are some pictures of the small suburb of "Triana" (where our home is). We get to cross this beautiful bridge everyday when we go to school or into downtown for anything (which is everyday). The mornings are lovely and peaceful, the nights are glowing and magical. I could never get used to this everyday.


1 comment:

  1. Living in Triana is great, I loved crossing the river every day! :) I agree, stay away from those Spaniards! :) BUT do meet some natives and practicar! :)

    ReplyDelete